Monday, July 19, 2010

D Day

I had this great post all written out in my head, but Tyler has been sick the past two days and I didn't get any sleep last night.  I am not sure that I could write a decent and coherent post right now.  Both of the kids took a nap this afternoon which provided some peace and quiet in the house.  But that just makes me even more worried about Tyler.  She has to be sick to take a nap.

Who watched Army Wives last night?  I think I started crying before it was 2 minutes into the episode.  I HATE D Day (Deployment Day).  How do you handle D Day?  David and I prefer the rip the band-aid off method.  For his first deployment, the families were encouraged to stay and wait around (for hours) for his squadron to fly out from the base.  David asked me not to stay.  Honestly, I was kind of relieved.  It was just dragging the inevitable.

His last deployment, he flew out from an airport about an hour away from the base.  Someone from the squadron took them and we had a quick good-bye.  This was easier for Tyler and Landon.  The three of us went back home (it was early in the morning) and crawled up in my bed and went back to sleep.

And now we will do this all over again in a matter of months.  Why does it never get any easier?

post signature

7 comments:

  1. Man I cry at the PREVIEWS for Army Wives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It never does get any easier I found it best when Chuck left from the house instead of us going threw the hoopla - we had our private time and it was the easiest. When it was "that time", one of us would say the fastest you get out of here the fastest you will return.... so get going....Just as the same I would tell the kids we know your your Dad is home, when he walks threw the door

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, you were stationed at RAF Lakenheath! That's where I am now! I am also a major in Elementary Education. I get my Associate's officially in December 2010!!

    I hate deployments. We've been through two and we did the same thing. I told him goodbye and did not linger around for long. It's exhausting. He prefers me to leave as well, and I like that he is ok with that. Although I never can come home and go back to sleep. I wish I could.

    It truly never does get easier :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't begin to imagine what D Day is like for you guys. You Army Wives are amazing and I admire the heck out of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so reassuring to hear that other wives prefer not to drag out the whole goodbye!!! The first time my hubby left, his friend took him, and we said our goodbyes at home. The second time, I dropped him off at the airport and we said our goodbyes at the curb. And this last time, I dropped him off at the base, helped him get his bags and left. It's wasy too emotional for us to hang around and drag it all out. I always feel guilty, though, because I see all the other families staying around and I'm the fastest one to get out of there.
    I'm so glad that I'm not alone on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't have a big show and we can hug them until they actually turn to leave and get on the buses. For me, it's actually easier to stand there and wait. That way, SOMETHING ELSE is taking him from me... I'm not walking away.

    But if I had kids, depending on how old they were, that might be different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! I'm sorry you'll be doing another deployment soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!!

Swidget 1.0